[rollei_list] Re: OT Mapplethorp (was Re: Re:)

  • From: "Marvin" <marvin0@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 21:48:59 +0800

Hello Lawrence, Newton's work was berated because of his continual
"negative" portrayal of women. Particular the very sexual referenced
stuff(women in red stiletto heels etc).

Imagine you are in an institution and a steady stream of female
photographers approach you armed with B.A and M.A dissertations aimed
squarely at the likes of Newton. You would take note, they have the talk to
go with the attitude, having read Susan Sontag, Germaine Greer etc.

On top of that Cindi Sherman's work was in vogue at that time, it was very
antithetical to Newton's and it was greatly admired by the majority of
female photographers. The Mantra was women let's take control of our own
images, men will just portray us as sex objects etc..

On top of that the university hired a number of female staff who agreed with
these kinds of ideas-and it was good night Newton and Bob Carlos Clarke etc.

At one time there was a nude photography workshop, which of course was
photographing beautiful shapely girls in the woods etc. Of course this was
scrapped as it too was deemed politically incorrect.

Buy a strange quirk of fate, Mapplethorp's images were considered Ok yet
Newton's were considered degrading.

My personal view is that the women on our course were right, and Newton's
work was off. However, I do think that the ending of nude photography women
too extreme.

Funny, but if a women photographed a women nude it was considered ok, I
think Georgia O'Keefe was one yet, a man doing it Edward Weston this was
risky.

Thanks for you well thought out post.
Marvin.