[rollei_list] Re: OT: Leica Film Length-Now Kodachrome

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 21:57:33 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Sadowski" <dsadowski@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, September 28, 2009 8:03 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: OT: Leica Film Length-Now Kodachrome

In the period from the 1930s until the 1980s, I don't think there was any such thing as 120 format Kodachrome. As someone else noted, it was available in "miniature" formats 135 and 828 (which some people
called "superslides") and in sheet film sizes.

Pros would have shot it in a Graflex or a Deardorff or some such, and
not in a Rollei TLR.

Yes, it was eventually made available for a few years starting in the mid-to-late 1980s, but a pro market for Kodachrome failed to develop. By then, pros here in Chicago were very much used to using a combination of Polaroids for testing, and E-6 films with fast
turnaround from pro labs.

I was involved with testing some of the MF Kodachrome and I know I
shot some in the 2.8F I owned at the time.

As you probably already know, Kodachrome is a fussier film that had less latitude than E-6 and a very much warmer tone than Ektachrome. It was more prone to variations in processing and easily scratched.

Once Fuji came out with Velvia, a warm-toned, sharp E-6 film, there
was really no need for MF Kodachrome.

Kodachrome has the advantage of excellent dark storage permanence although it fades faster than incorporated coupler film under projection conditions. When Kodak announced Ektachrome c.1946 it discontinued Professional Kodachrome, i.e. Kodachrome sheet film. The photographers of the time I've talked to hated Ektachrome. Each batch was enough different to require different filter packs and it was considered inferior in every way. However, it could be processed by independant labs and I think Kodak was happy to get rid of the need to process Kodachrome at the factory. I have shot 2-1/4 x 2-1/4 slides in a Rolleiflex, quite impressive. That was probably around 1990 sometime. Early Kodachrome had a look that is hard to describe or duplicate. Something like the original Technicolor. I think at the time both Kodak and Technicolor found that customers wanted _lots_ of color. Either could have been toned down a bit and, in fact, Technicolor was very flexible and I've seen samples of experimental prints without the oversaturated look. Kodak made a special version of Kodachrome for use in motion picture cameras where prints were to be made. It was much lower contrast than the standard version and looks so on direct inspection. It was used by producers of industrial/educational movies and something similar was used by Technicolor for camera originals for some location work where the big three-strip cameras were just too unwieldly. An example is the movie "Shane" where a number of exterior shots were made on low contrast Kodachrome.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles