[rollei_list] Re: OT: Leica Film Length-Now Kodachrome

  • From: David Sadowski <dsadowski@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 23:03:58 -0500

On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 10:40 PM, Eric Goldstein <egoldste@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> A decade is a bit longer than a few years.
>
> Many, many pros shot MF Kodachrome. It was the demands for
> ever-quicker turn-around that killed it.

You could get it turned around in four hours at the Ross-Ehlert
Kodachrome Lab here in Chicago, and I did.  While their quality
control was the best, very few people used it.

I sold film back then to most of the top names in Chicago and I think
we sold at least 100 rolls of Ektachrome 120 for every roll of PKR120
we sold.  I don't think the Ross-Ehlert Kodachrome Lab lasted even a
year and that alone backs up my statement that a market did not
develop for it.

Once the lab closed, the film really had no chance among pros.  By
then, Kodak had closed down the Prairie Avenue Kodachrome lab (turning
things over to the indies) and your choices as a pro would have been
to have Kodak do it in Dallas or some such or send it to LaSalle
Photo, which was thought of as an amateur lab.