[rollei_list] Re: OT: Leica

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 17:18:53 -0500

At 05:01 PM 11/15/2009, Thor Legvold wrote:

>With that said, I can imagine the body alone costs a small fortune,
>not to mention lenses for it. I was out shooting with my Contax IIa
>today, and while it doesn't have as modern a feel as the Leica did,
>I'm confident that the glass is at least on a par, if not better
>(Zeiss Sonnar 50/1.5 and 85/2 used today). If helps that I had Henry
>Scherer restore it to as new a while back....

The latest Contax lenses were designed in 1954. The oldest Leica M lenses available today were designed around 1985. Trust me, the Leica glass is better than the Zeiss Contax RF lenses, though the differences are only visible in really critical work.

A Leica M body can be had for around $1000 or so, hardly a "small fortune". I have five Leica RF bodies and a bunch of lenses and accessories and have no money in them, as I have been buying and selling for decades, and these are the "profit" from such sales. I also have six Contax RF bodies and a slew of lenses for them and, similarly, I have no money in them, either. But, then, I swapped a Leica M4 body for my 2.8GX.

The metering on an M6 is pretty simple and is deadly accurate.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!