[rollei_list] OT: Leica

  • From: Thor Legvold <tlegvold@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, rolleiusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 23:01:39 +0100

Funny enough people have been arguing over Leica recently.

I was in NY last week, and had Sunday off, so I wandered around Riverside park with my Rolleiflex D. At one point an elderly gentleman stopped to compliment me on my camera, and we ended up talking for an hour or so. He had a Leica M6 with him, and asked me to take his picture with it (and took mine with the Rollei).

Never having used a Leica before (well, actually I did try a friends R years ago, once), I was very impressed by the feel and smoothness. Focusing was very easy, the lens helical was butter smooth and the shutter firm but responsive. All in all it gave me a very good impression. The display wasn't obvious (exposure meter indicator), but I figured it out eventually.

With that said, I can imagine the body alone costs a small fortune, not to mention lenses for it. I was out shooting with my Contax IIa today, and while it doesn't have as modern a feel as the Leica did, I'm confident that the glass is at least on a par, if not better (Zeiss Sonnar 50/1.5 and 85/2 used today). If helps that I had Henry Scherer restore it to as new a while back....

Anyway, I did get a positive impression of the camera. I'm told that film loading is a holdover from the dark ages, but I didn't go there. Just appreciated the feel of a well made camera.

Just thought I'd share that with everyone :-)

Cheers,
Thor