[rollei_list] Re: OT - Hard or soft water?

  • From: Choiliefan@xxxxxxx
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 10:47:04 EDT

Rob,
I'm stuck with well water and it is hard.  Leaves a residue of  whitish
mineral (?) deposits on negs unless I do a quick final dunk in  bottled
distilled
water which is what we drink.  Never had a  problem getting all the fixer out
of prints using the hard well water  straight.  That's the extent of my
dealings with unsoftened water so can't  comment further on archival qualities.

I'm curious if you have a septic system with leach field, etc?  I  worry
about dumping chemicals down the drain and ruining the ecological balance
within
the tank.  That and the relatively low pressure of our well  pump make wet
darkroom work more than a bit of a hassle here.

Miss good old Southern California DWP water and sewer service but  that's
gone for good.
Oh well...

Health, Peace
Lance
Selma, NC 27576

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In a message dated 6/11/2008 9:22:39 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
54moggie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

I am  building my dream darkroom and have recently purchased a 16x20  inch
archival 'Cross Jet' print washer.  We have well water which is  rather hard.
As such, years ago I installed a salt based water softener  which supplies
the whole house with soft water.

We've a young man  staying with us this summer who is studying photographic
conservation up at  Queens University in Canada.  He tells me I should use
hard water  through the print washer.  He maintains it will clear the fixer
better  and alkaline water is not good for paper fiber.  We drink  bottled
water so of this has never been a human issue.  What say you  all?  Is this
true, I have some more plumbing work to do,  sigh!

Rob in NJ