[rollei_list] Re: OT: Good News!

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 09:04:40 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Kenneth Frazier" <kennybod@xxxxxxx> To: "Leica User's Group" <lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; <MUGers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; <rolleiusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, June 17, 2007 11:54 AM
Subject: [rollei_list] OT: Good News!

Listers, and friends,

Just thought I'd let you all know that my candidating sermon was this morning, the congregation voted unanimously, and I am now officially the new minister of the First Congregational Church, Waterbury, CT.

Here's the link to the website:

http://firstchurch-wtby.org/

thanks for all the words of support as this process has been worked through.

Peace,

Ken

BTW, Waterbury has an important place in the history of photography. The Scovill company was located there. Scovill was founded about 1830 as a manufacturer of brass hardware including buttons. They began to make plates for Daguerreotypy about 1839. One of their first customers was Samuel F.B. Morse, the inventor of the telegraph and a painter. Scovill eventually merged (about 1900) with the E.& H.T. Anthony Co. to become Ansco, for many years the primary competitor to Eastman Kodak. I don't know how long photographic materials continued to be made in Waterbury. Ansco was eventualy headquartered in Binghampton, N.Y.
   You will find more in:

_Images and Enterprize_ Reese V. Jenkins, 1975, the Johns Hopkins University Press. There is also a book specifically about the Anthony family and the beginnings of Ansco by Marder, complete publishing data to follow. I must get some sleep now.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx