[rollei_list] Re: OT: Going over to the Dark Side

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 00:33:51 -0400

At 04:54 PM 7/12/2010, Laurence Cuffe wrote:
Marc, I'm glad to see you have the card reader problem solved, and I sympathize with you sense of being intimidated by all the menu's and options open to you. This is a problem in teaching computers, a good many of us of a certain technical bent realy wont trust a machine until our knowlege of it is as complete as posible. It is not a constructive atitude when starting out with either computers or digital cameras, as it tends to paralyse us right at the start.
So, for a digital camera, may I sugest the following:
Shoot twenty shots on full automatic. Then find the aperture priority setting, shoot twenty more playing with this. Then find the shutter priority seting, shoot twenty more. You know what these setings should do, examine your results to find out how close you got. Now you have sixty images. Upload them to a computer so you can see them in more detail, and start looking for technical failures, shots which went to white, shots which got blurred or where the colour went funny. Now go back into the manual and try and see how to sort out each of these issues. Because you are now trying to solve specific problems, your manual reading is much more focused and therefore constructive. After you repeat this process for a couple of iterations you will find you have a core set of knowlege of your digital camera which you can build on and which will start delivering results that you can be comfortable with.
All the best
Larry (Wearing my digital literacy hat "You are only in comand of technology when you can create in it!")

Thank you, Larry. This is very sage advice. I am gradually learning my way around the camera and will wander over to AV and TV tomorrow. I will need AV once my M42 adapter gets here and I start improving the camera with Soviet and Kilfitt lenses, not to mention my Questar 3.5. Once I get a T-Adapter, I will be trying out the Leica APO-Televid.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!