[rollei_list] Re: OT: Going over to the Dark Side

  • From: Don Williams <dwilli10@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 20:23:46 -0500

At 07:14 PM 7/10/2010, you wrote:
Well, I did pick up a Canon EOS Rebel Ti1 500 or whatever it is, with a simple 18mm to 55mm zoom. Thanks to those on this List and to those on the IDCC, I managed to locate Fotodix and to score an M42 adapter and the proper lens hood. So far, so good.

Several problems.

First, the camera is so damnably complicated that it will take me 25 years to learn all of its foibles. I dumped my last modern Canon -- a film EOS 10s -- in part because I had to carry the manual about when using it. This camera is even more complex and I just do not see how anyone could ever use it save in full automatic mode. It is hugely complex and, like the film 10s, not the least bit intuitive. (I rather enjoy taking a Contax II and a roll of XP2 and just shooting pictures -- but learning film is so very much easier than learning digital.) I am 60 and not at all certain that I wish to spend the rest of my life learning about Mode 32, Menu 9, and the like. Photography ought to be simple: a) insert film b) insert the lens c) take pictures.

Second, I have no means of downloading the pictures easily. While Canon claims their software works on Windows XP, it gags on my computer and will not work. And the card reader also fails to respond. We did download the first set of pictures to my wife's laptop and she e-mailed me some pictures, but there must be a more decent workaround short of taking the card to WalMart and having them transfer them to a CD-Rom. This camera takes an HD SD card or somesuch, and that seems part of the problem.

I have about a half dozen adapters, some dating from the HP 98/100/200 LX days. [PCMCIA] Never had an interface problem.

For digital I never use the camera vendor software, just windows explorer and whatever combination of adapters that work to make the interface.

Only one suggestion, when transferring images to a computer, be sure to set the chip, whatever it is, to write-protect and if you are using windows, check the little "safe to remove" box on the bottom right of the screen before you remove it.. As it turns out, my console dates from the time where an external adapter is required. Been using the same one for 10 years, handles about 5-6 types of devices. My laptop, being born during this century, takes about 6 devices in native mode.

Actually I generally use a USB cable and treat the camera as another drive and use windows explorer to do the file copy.

Oy, Vey, my children! I mourn the days of chemical film. I am not a happy camper.

Yes, digital cameras have many options, but far less than your chemical, camera, and film options. The difference is that with a digital camera you have access to all options at one instant, but with film you usually deal with options serially. I do find that with digital the best approach is to follow the book, test each option, and just remember the ones of interest to you- same as working with film.

For some perspective, imagine you walk up to a store with every type of film and format, all available cameras and lenses, all enlargers, all chemicals ever compounded, etc. You have never seen 95% of them. Now take a picture!

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!