[rollei_list] Re: OT: Getting into 4x5 for the first time...

  • From: Mike Bischof <nbg90455@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 09:19:02 -0700 (PDT)

Talking from experience, once you cross the line and get into LF, there is no
lack of opportunity to spend lots of cash -- you don't even need to be a "gear
head" ;-)

  As far as developing 4x5 sheets, check out the Jobo tanks -- their 2521(?)
tank can do 6 sheets with 50 oz. of chemicals, and the same way you are used to
doing 135 or 120 film(daylight tank with hand agitation)...

  Enjoy the adventure!

  Mike

Jeff Kelley <jlkphoto@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    I just talked to the seller and told him I'd buy the system - assuming, of
course, it really is what's claimed.
  Hmmm, now I need to think about developing 4x5...I can feel my wallet getting
thinner already ;)

  Jeff

  On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 2:36 PM, Robert Lilley <54moggie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
    Neveer mind about the Tachihara - go for the Sinar F package!

  Rob
    On Mar 25, 2008, at 4:23 PM, Jeff Kelley wrote:

      Wow, I just got back from lunch and found all this great advice already!
Thanks everyone!

  The 2 lenses in the kit are: Fujinon 210mm f5.6 and a Nikkor 135mm f5.6.  The
package includes a ton of accessories too.  All for less than $900.  This seems
like a great deal when I look at ebay prices for a similar setup.  The seller
claims "mint" condition.  I have not seen the equipment in person yet, however.

  Jeff

  On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 1:09 PM, Mark Rabiner <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

    I've been giving serious thought to trying 4x5 for the first time.  I know
nothing about it except from reading. I have about 40yrs of photo experience
with 8mm through 6x9, though no view camera experience whatsoever.

I found a local seller with a Sinar F, 2 lenses, and what appears to be
everything needed to get going - except film.

Does anyone reading know if this "kit" would be appropriate for a rank beginner
to the world of 4x5?

Jeff

The words "Beginner" and "Sinar" has never been used in the same paragraph
until this day and age with EBay.

Sinar is an impossible dream come true camera for peoples whose commitment to
sheet film is unquestioned.

Thinking of it as a "I'm thinking of getting into 4x5 maybe I'll start out with
a Sinar" is amazing.
I'd have called you a liar if you told me some day a thing would happen that
would get people talking like that.

Mark William Rabiner
markrabiner.com

  Mike Bischof