[rollei_list] Re: OT Estate Tex (was Re: Copyright Law)

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2009 10:53:23 -0500

At 10:41 AM 12/3/2009, Austin Franklin wrote:

>I believe "Mickey" got the laws changed with their vast corporate power to
>suit their "needs".  But, again, "structuring" is playing games.  Why is it
>that a law has to be complicated, that only if you pull lever "A" and press
>button "B" are you entitled?

Two points

First, no, Disney did NOT get the law changed to suit their interests. The EU changed the rules and asked the US to amend its laws to match theirs. Congress considered adopting such a change. THEN Disney realized that this change was to their benefit, and hopped on board, though they only did so after it had become obvious that Congress was going to make the change.

Second, why can you not realize that Eric is correct in pointing out that, first, estate taxes play no part in almost all USian families -- he suggests 3% or 4% are affected, and that may well be correct, meaning that 96% of US families are not concerned over estate taxes -- and, second, that estate planning, such as buying insurance and establishing family trusts, can reduce the impact of estate taxes on the uber-rich guys such as your family seems to be.

My middle-class family has had to endure the loss of a number of folks over the past few decades. None of the survivors were affected by estate taxes. Estate planning DOES work.

So, Austin, it seems that you come from a family which is both in that upper 3% of the asset-wealthy and which was so inept as not to engage in sound estate planning. Slackers ALWAYS lose: do the homework before the test, and all is made simple.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!