[rollei_list] Re: OT EFKE/ADOX [was Kodak Conjecture...]

  • From: Carlos Manuel Freaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2007 07:34:50 -0300 (ART)

I think Marc and Ferdi have explained very well this
issue. On 1962 the original German Adox company
founded by Dr Carl Schleussner on 1860 in Frankfurt
Main sold the company to DuPont; on 1972 DuPont
licensed the Adox films technology to Fotokemika
Zagreb but DuPont did not license the trademark Adox
and then Fotokemika Zagreb manufactures the Adox film
under the name "Efke".
DuPont transferred the trademark Adox to their
subsidiary company Sterling Diagnostic Imaging that
used the name Adox for their x-rays films.
On 1999 Agfa bought Sterling Diagnostic Imaging and
then the trademark "Adox" became into a German
trademark again. Agfa never used the trademark "Adox".
On 2002-2003 we find two versions, according Adox
Bluefire (Adox Fotowerke Inc.)in Calgary, Canada, on
2003 the German Patent Office trademarks removed the
name "Adox" because Agfa did not use it and then they
registered the name Adox in Canada, they did not know
that other people were registering the name too.
According Fotoimpex Berlin, they imported "Efke" films
for Germany from 1992 and on 2002 they -Fotoimpex-
bought the trademark "Adox", Fotoimpex uses the
trademark "Adox"  for the largest variety of
alternative black and white materials present on the
market at the current, they say Adox will manufacture
B&W photographic materials for several years despite
the digital revolution and they are concentrating the
production in a plant close to Berlin to produce film
for small quantities.
Facts are that Fotowerke Adox Canada only uses the
name "Adox" for Canada and the name "Bluefire" out of
Canada, Fotoimpex Berlin uses the name "Adox" for the
rest of the world.-

All the best
Carlos

--- Robert Chiasson <ba799@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> escribió:

> I believe it is Frugal Photorapher in Calgary that
> registered the Adox
> trademark in Canada, and sells a "police" film and
> developer under the
> Bluefire trademark.
>
> They also sell Efke 127 film and Solaris 126 film
> (for your Rolleiflex
> SL-26, which I hope to use before I die).
>
> I apologize that I have not done in depth research
> on this topic, but I
> just never get around to emails that require me to
> look something up -
> it's off the cuff or nothing - sorry.
>
> ------
> Robert
>

> On Thu, 8 Feb 2007, karqvlsg wrote:
>
> > The re-branding to Adox sounds like a marketing
> ploy. That's all it it
> > is the film is still made by Fotokemika in
> Croatia. Is the Adox Police
> > sold under the Adox name that which was once made
> by Agfa?

> with 'subscribe'
> in the subject field OR by logging into
> www.freelists.org