[rollei_list] Re: OT Contact Printing ... contact proof printers

  • From: Carlos Manuel Freaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 23:10:43 +0000 (GMT)

I had a contact proof printer like you described
Richard, it had a little red bulb to examine the neg
and to place the paper and a white lamp to do the
exposure pressing a button, it had a ground glass, a
transparent glass and a lid with felt to press neg and
paper, it also had a mask that you could handle to
obtain clean edges in the proof; Sometimes I used it
to obtain an idea about the best paper and exposure
about a complicated neg, most times the results were a
bit different from the enlarger but contact prints
were a good basis to work with difficult negs.
Paterson still manufacture contact proof printers, for
35 mm, for 120 and up to 20x25cm negs, they also
manufacture a Paterson Pro Proofer/Copy Board, this
larger version of the proof printer has a plain glass
pressure plate to allow proofing of four 4 x 5in (10 X
12.5cm) negatives, one 8 x 10in (20.3 x 25.4cm)
negative, or other formats on a single sheet of paper.
Ideal for holding prints up to l0 x 12in (25.4 x
30.5cm) flat for copying (I don`t know the price but
it looks expensive due to its digital display...).
The 120 Paterson contact printer is interesting and
costs around 70 USD.
I know about the Paterson because my supplier in
Buenos Aires offered me one of them brand new and
perhaps I'll buy one, the 6x6 format has size enough
to obtain a visible contact print and to keep it like
photograph.-

All the best
Carlos

  --- Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
escribió:

>    The switch was pretty much standard. Most boxes
> had a
> small "safelight" bulb, a red or orange nite-lite
> type bulb
> plus the exposure bulb or bulbs. There was usually a
> switch
> to turn the printing light on or switch it to the
> pressure
> plate switch.
>    Several companies made large, floor standing,
> printing
> boxes for mass production of contact prints. This
> was done,
> for instance, for movie star fan prints and for the
> promotional still one used to see displayed in front
> of
> theaters. Printers were made for 8x10 and 11x14
> maximum
> _negative_ size.
>    I don't know when contact printing fell out of
> use but
> printing boxes were still being advertized in the
> 1970's.
>    I don't believe contact printing paper had any
> magic. For
> instance, the late, lamented Azo had curves and
> image color
> very much like Kodabromide. I really doubt if anyone
> could
> tell a contact print made on one from the other.
>    Up to the 1950's all the major paper suppliers
> made
> contact paper, usually both a cold or neutral tone
> paper and
> a warm tone paper.
> ---
> Richard Knoppow