[rollei_list] Re: OT CFLs ( was Re: another Epson scan)

  • From: Don Williams <dwilli10@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 06 Aug 2006 12:22:47 -0700

At 08:28 AM 8/6/2006 -0700, Dick wrote, in response to a note from Eric:

I have several compact lamps, I use them where lamps are left on for relatively long periods. The current ones look about like incandescent lamps and don't have visible flicker. However, they sell for $5 or more each at places like Home Depot. I haven't checked Costco yet, not even sure they have lamps. Fluorescent lamps of all sorts are electrically noisy, not the thing to have in the ham shack. Also, while fluorescent lamps do not generate as much heat as incandescent lamps they do like to run hot and run continuously.

---
Richard Knoppow

Not cheap here either.

Same about electrical noise. I tried replacing some Halogen Room lights with flourescents (Yes, Home Depot) and they simply destroyed my TV reception, even though the TV's are all on cable and have (according to tests run with my cable modem) a very strong signal. When I returned them, there was a giant pile of returns already there.

After the fire I had some sets of 6' flourescents installed in the garage. Had to replace the ballast in all of them, you could even hear the vibration through the living room floor above.

Don Williams
La Jolla, CA