[rollei_list] Re: OT: Antiques Roadshow... Photography Edition

  • From: CarlosMFreaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 18:37:27 -0300

2010/7/28 Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> I haven't read the published stories about this so maybe this has been
> answered. I wonder about what dates the material is supposed to have been
> made. Glass plates were considered obsolete except for some special purposes
> after about the 1920s. ..

They were from his early years as a photographer estimated somewhere
around 1919 – 1930’s, well before he became well known

> Also, does anyone know what sort of
> materials known Adams negatives were made of during the peroid these
> negatives were supposed to have been made by him?

According Wikipedia, his first photographs about Yosemite Park were
taken with a Kodak Brownie about 1916, however from 1917 he was taken
photographs at the area using different cameras and lenses, it's sure
he was using glass plates in 1927 (f.e. Monolith, the Face of Half
Dome, taken with his Korona view camera using glass plates and a dark
red filter)

> Another also, what size
> are they? Its fairly well known what camreras Adams was working with at
> various times, are these negtatives consonant with those cameras?

The glass plates size are 6.5"x8.5", this is the negative size for the
Korona View Camera mentioned above (from my own brief research).

This CNN article adds several details to believe the negs are AA's work:
http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/07/27/ansel.adams.discovery/index.html?hpt=C1