[rollei_list] Re: OT: Antiques ...Glass Plates

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 20:13:53 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "CarlosMFreaza" <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, July 28, 2010 6:55 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: OT: Antiques ...Glass Plates

2010/7/28 Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
it appears that the questions that
seemed obvious to me were pretty obvious and got investigated.

I think I also was one who answered some of your specific questions Richard, it seems the Korona View camera was not mentioned for these glass plates but it was one of the cameras AA was using during the last years of the '20s, the camera used 6.5"x8.5" plates, this is the
same size for the glass plates in topic.

Talking about glass plates, a few years ago a pro photographer found and bought in an antique shop at Buenos Aires city 175 positives -slides- glass plates showing images from a factory at Leipzig city, Germany. These plates are very old, taken during the XXth century firsts two decades, they have the label “E. A. Seemann, Leipzig. Seestern-Lichtbilder” (something like E.A. Seemann, Leipzig; Sea stars photographies). The images are preserved very well considering the age, these are 10 samples published in the "Fotomundo" magazine:

http://www.fotomundo.com/nota_galeria2.php?id=447&num=1
http://www.fotomundo.com/nota_galeria2.php?id=447&num=1&pag=2

Carlos

Lantern slides... They were very popular for many years. I suspect somone on the photo history list could identify E.A.Seemann and date him. What a name for someone publishing views!! 6.5x8.5 inches is known as full plate size. There is no authentic information about how this size was named but it is suggested that it was a standard size for window glass. Well, could be.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA