[rollei_list] Re: OT: A Dark Side Update

  • From: Laurence Cuffe <cuffe@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 12:16:03 -0700 (PDT)

Way to go!
I had a lot of fun last week using a 610mm Aero Ektar to photograph the dog, I perched the lens on one arm of an Adirondack chair, and then hid under my rain coat with my D40 body looking to find where the image of the dog was.  Because of the instant feedback, I was able to get a lot more iterations out of the system before the dog got bored.
Other tricks today, I took two shots of my living room window, using the left and right lenses of a pair of 3d glasses from a Hanna Montana movie
I then used PS to subtract the images, and have a color image of my living room, in left and right circularly polarized light.  Doing the same thing with silver Chemistry would take a lot longer than the ten minutes it took to put together as an exercise.
Have fun1
All the best
Larry cuffe

On 13 Jul, 2010,at 12:43 PM, Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I am SLOWLY getting acclimated. I picked up an SDHC card reader
($8.54 at Wal-Mart) and all is now made clear, albeit I still do not
know why my computer refuses to acknowledge any digital camera hooked
to it. But, so long as the card reader works, then all is made
reasonably clear.

I did get my M42 adapter today and I've been having a ball checking
out all of my Soviet lenses and my Icarex lenses and my Kilfitt
lenses. Next, the Questar, whose accessory size is M42. Now for a
T-ring so I can use it on my Leica APO-Televid.

I know that I have the adaptors to allow me to kludge an M42 to
Bellows II connection so I can start doing macro photography. I have
a nice collection of Luminars (the entire set) and Photars (no one
knows just what types were made, so no one knows just what a complete
set might be -- I have one which was never catalogued, and that dates
from around 1987)

I still have a huge learning curve, and I suppose I must confront
Photoshop again some day, though my last experience was just so
damned negative as to make me less interested in doing so. And, so
far, IrfanView works just fine for me.

I do enjoy the ability to store 2356 high-quality images on a single
card. That is nice -- something in excess of 65 135-36 rolls. With
the M42 adapter, I have to stab about to get the proper exposure, and
I can monitor the results of a given shot immediately and then
correct it for the next. (LONG -- SHORT -- FIRE FOR EFFECT!) That is handy.

It still is a terribly steep and stiff learning curve, but, as you
and others have noted, I can use the camera to take pictures without
knowing all the bells and whistles, precisely as I can play a game of
Solitaire on my PC without having to know Disk Management and the
like. I do feel better now that I have the proper lens hood Why
Canon never sells lens hoods with their lenses escapes me, as most
dealers do not stock them.