[rollei_list] Re: OFF-TOPIC - Bicycles

  • From: siufai@xxxxxx
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2006 23:39:42 +0200

> One point I'd like to note. An American firm makes great carbon bikes. It's
> one of the things we do well and Trek should be given credit for this. I
> regret to report that they have many of their bikes made in the Orient. Their
> top bikes are made here, and one can be had for slightly less than a Leica M
> and considerably less than a new Rollei TLR.
>
> I believe Trek got help from someone who had worked in the airplane industry
> where carbon fiber had been used.

US bike firms are very actually very innovative. The oversized aluminum frames
were designed in the early 80's (by Gary Klein) while the French (Vitus and
Allan) were making aluminum frames which were really bad. Same for carbon
(Kestrel) and titanium was not even considered when the people at Merlin (and
later Litespeed) were working on (at that time classified) material.

Trek was a relatively a late newcomer on the high-end market and it was after
they bought several very innovative companies (Klein, Gary Fisher, Bontrager)
that they became one of the major player in the better bicycles.

> I have a couple of bikes and use one for riding to pick up small items from
> the grocery store or to get out of the home ot have a cup of coffee and to
> read. The other bike I use for longer rides where the purpose is to exercise
> at lenghth. The quality of each bike fits its purpose. I don't feel the need
> for high end, but I don't want to buy something that takes the fun out of
> cycling.

I fully agree. I need a really old and worn bicycle to get grocery or else it
will get stolen :(

Siu Fai