[rollei_list] Re: OFF-TOPIC - Bicycles

  • From: David Restall - System Administrator <dave@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2006 16:33:42 +0100

Eric -

> How can you say it defeats the "object" when you don't know what my
> object is? IMO this is a rough analogy all around... I can show you
> some beautiful and brilliant images shot on digital...

mea culpa - for me personally it defeats the object.  It may be your cup
of tea but not mine.

> When I lived on the continent as a small boy, similar motorized bikes
> where ubiquitous and mostly served as a second (or even first) auto

Ahh the Solex and others.  As a boy I always wanted one of those to make
pedalling easier, never did get one and never will.  I have a Norton for
that :-)

> replacement. It is conceivable that something like this could serve as
> a second car replacement for my family IF no one dies, gets their
> kidneys rattled apart, or get stranded somewhere because of mechanical
> failure or theft...

Point taken - mind you pushing a mountain bike for any distance is hard
work, if it broke down it could be a liablility.  The big problem in
the UK would be with the authorities.  IIRC they are treated as MOPEDS
here and you would have to have motor insurance, wear a helmet take
a test and be at least 16 years old.  The laws here make it difficult
to use anything like that "in a public place".  If you are driving on
public land or land that the public have access to, you can be stopped
by the police and asked to produce your driving documents.  Failure to
produce is a criminal offence.  The police are using it to stop illegal
off road motorcyclists and 4x4 drivers.  There was a banner headline a
just before Christmas in the local paper about minimoto bikes and the
local constabulary pointed out that there is no public area on Teesside
where they could be ridden legally - so don't buy one for Christmas
unless you have permission to ride it on private land.

So not only will your fillings get rattled out (Norton Again ;-), you'll
smell of two stroke oil and you'll end up with a criminal record too :-)

TTFN

mail/rollei-users/rl-2006-06-08.2.tx                           rollei.list
| Dave Restall,       IIRC Limited, PO Box 46, Skelton, Cleveland, TS12 2GT. |
| Tel. 0845 10 80 151    Mob. +44 (0) 7973 831245   Int. +44 (0) 1287 653003 |
| email : dave@xxxxxxxx       dave@xxxxxxxxxxx     Web : http://www.iirc.net |
| Children are natural mimics who act like their parents despite every       |
| effort to teach them good manners.                                         |

Eric Goldstein