[rollei_list] Re: OFF-TOPIC - Bicycles

  • From: jon.stanton@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2006 02:28:36 +0000

"Jon, I can understand how you feel, but if you don't ride, you don't know the
 ins and the outs of the appearances. "

Hi Doug, Thanks for the feedback...I did ride....Commuted 200 miles a week and
then rode another 80 (minimum) miles on the weekend....I'd pick up my daughter,
seat her on the cross bar and head out for a movie or book store. I did this
for a period of at least 6 months. (Mid 1980's) Low period of my life...after
my divorce when I could not afford to replace or repair my automobile. I
managed to borrow enough money to buy a KHS mountain bike in Berkeley (about
$300) Great bike...1/3 to 1/2 the weight of my old Schwinn and 15 speeds! I
still have the bike...The local shop  here in Oly wanted $300 to tune it up!!
Can you imagine? They could not understand how I could have a hybrid of Shimano
and Suntour components. They wanted to upgrade to all the latest SOTA
Shimano....I bought a set of brake pads, a new chain, can of WD 40 and 2 new
tubes...Less than $20 and it rides like new.  Gear?  I wear a helmet,
reflective bands, yellow jacket and a pair of Wrangler blue jeans...No cli
 ps, cl
etes, panty hose (Spandex?) no shirts advertising Campagnollo... And oh! The
little odometer on the front hub reads 9800 miles.. I doubt if the Los Gatos
crew whom I found fault with ever rode their bikes hard enough to break a sweat
and stain their expensive jerseys...I did attempt but did not always finish
some of the grade 5 or 9 climbs (depending on the rating scale) like Mountain
Charley, Quimby Road, Mount Hamilton...again in jeans w/o clips, cleats or
spandex..
Marc....I don't think we forget how to ride...it's just re-aligning our old
fixed memories with our new re-aligned bodies..
Camera wardrobe??   oops.... I have a Tilley (<G>) which I had at least 10
years before I had my M3....

Jon