[rollei_list] Re: New photos online

  • From: Aaron Reece <oboeaaron@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 22:49:23 -0500

On Feb 8, 2006, at 6:16 PM, Richard Knoppow wrote:

http://homepage.mac.com/oboeaaron/rolleipics/alexis/ self_portrait.html

   The mysterious double exposure in the second portrait
looks to me as though its fogging from the holder not
completely seating in the camera thus leaving a light leak
along a thin line. Such fogging can also be caused by leaks
around the periphery of the camera back but those usually
show up on all or most pictures.

That was my first thought as well, as it would explain the big triangular wedge and the vertical lines, but what I can't figure out is the clearly resolved image in her forehead. That is the top of her toychest which is under the window she was sitting at. Do you suppose it's possible that a small gap between the film holder and the back could cause a pinhole-like image to form? I can't think of any other explanation. I was there the entire time and I am sure that there was no double-exposure.

I like both of these pictures.

Thank you, Richard.

Apologies for cross-posting this to both lists; I thought perhaps some of the large-format users on one but not both lists could shed some light on the mysterious double-image issue. I don't usually go in for the hip toy-camera look myself, but I do find this photo an intriguing "composition," mostly because it was completely unintentional but it seems to work geometrically somehow. BTW the barrel-looking thing in her forehead is a wardrobe for those microscopic Polly Pocket dolls ("Curse it! Curse it! We hates it forever!") so the latest joke around here is that the BIG camera can show what you are thinking of inside your head. That may explain the mysterious blank spaces that appear in all my self-portraits.*

-Aaron

* I'm joking. I cannot abide photos of myself.