[rollei_list] Re: More first Rolleicord pics...

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2005 00:01:31 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ardeshir Mehta" <ardeshir@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, March 04, 2005 9:48 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: More first Rolleicord pics...

> On Saturday, March 5, 2005, at 12:20  AM, Kenneth Frazier
> wrote:
>
>> Ardeshir wrote:
>>
>>> Take a look at some of my winter pics, taken in December
>>> with a
>>> Rolleiflex:
>>
>> Lovely photos!
>
> Thanks!
>
>> What film did you use for these shots?
>
> I used Ilford HP-5. I got it developed at a local lab, I
> don't know
> what developer they used. Not bad. But they did a lousy
> job of printing
> (I had some 11x14 prints made). I am going to send the
> negatives out to
> West Coast Imaging (see
> <http://westcoastimaging.com/wci/page/services/bwprint/fineartbw/
> piezprice.html>) to get some 16x20 inch Piezography prints
> made, on
> rough textured 22x30 inch water-colour paper with jagged
> edges. Later,
> maybe a Platinum print or two also, from "Photographic
> Traditions of
> Maine" (see
> <http://www.photographictraditions.com/services.shtml?platinum>).
>
>> thanks for looking and commenting.
>
> You're most welcome!
>

> Cheers.

   Its very easy to set up to develop B&W film. It takes a
little space to print but I do it in a tiny kitchen which is
also used as a kitchen.
   For developing roll film you need:
A tank
A dark place to load it or a changing bag.
Developer
stop bath
fixer
wash aid
Washing can be done by letting water run into the tank but
its better if you have a hose that can fit into the center
of the tank. You can make one from one of those shower
thingies that fit onto a sink.
Wetting agent.
A couple of spring type clothes pins and a place to hang the
film.
A decent photo thermometer.
A medium size funnel (get this at the grocery store not a
photo supplier, it will be much cheaper).
A decent timer with sweep second hand or digital indication
of seconds. A plain clock will do.
  A couple of measuring cups or beakers. Preferably these
should be marked in milliliters.
It is helpful to have a plastic stirring paddle for mixing
powdered chemicals but everything you need can be gotten as
liquid concentrate.

   Tanks of various sorts are available new or used. I use
old Nikor stainless steel tanks. If you buy these used do so
where you can inspect them. The lids and caps are
individually fitted. If they get mixed they may not fit or
the tanks can leak.
   Developing a roll of film takes about half an hour not
counting drying time.
   Developed negatives are usually stored in plastic
envelope pages. For 120 film in 2-1/4 x 2-1/4 it is usual to
cut the film into four strips of three frames. The storage
pages for 120 usually have four pockets.
   Because of the amount of stuff on the used market now the
equipment will not cost much. Chemicals are readily
available from several on-line sources if there is no
supplier near you.
   Kodak has a couple of inexpensive booklets on processing.
They are to the point and well written. One must is the
_Kodak Black & White Darkroom Dataguide_  Kodak, Ilford,
Agfa, and Fuji also have data sheets for their products
on-line. Just follow the directions and use standard
chemicals and you will get excellent results.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx