[rollei_list] Re: Minox Rollei digital TLR AF5.0

  • From: John Wild <jwild@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 01 Aug 2009 12:36:01 +0100

Absolutely! I think Rollei have nearly always 'missed the boat'. They
thought the TLR was the only camera. By the time they realised it was not
true, they were left behind and had to copy other's cameras and dodge the
patents. Many products were manufactured down to a price and so missed out
on desirable features. The XF 35 rangefinder; cheap plastic when compared to
the others (eg Canon, Olympus, Minolta, etc) on the market at the time. The
RF35 (from Cosina) is a recent example; very expensive and 'badged'. Why not
include TTL flash? Why not make the viewfinder frames for a larger number of
focal lengths? ......etc. Prochnow listed many prototypes in his books; some
would have been cameras with great features but they were never pursued.

With some of the cameras, (the SL35M, SL35ME, SLX & 2000) by the time they'd
ironed out the problems, the Rollei name had lost its might, never really to
be reinstated. A shame really.

They have produced some magnificent cameras too though......... :-))

John