[rollei_list] Lubricants (was Re: OT: small cameras for hiking...)

Carlos,

Thanks for this information - the abbreviations seen on repair manuals usually
are cryptic enough to be unintelligible.

I once needed to find out how to lubricate the helicoid on an old Focomat
enlarger and eventually stumbled on this page:
   http://www.pentax-manuals.com/repairs.htm

They have an US army training course manual on the repair of the Leica M2, with detailed
information on lubricants.  It recommends Losimol Magunna BO-4/4 for helicoids and
Klüber LDS-18 (thick) for sliding surfaces of aperture rings.  Klüber still
make LDS-18; the Losimol BO-4/4 apparently has been replaced by a newer product.

Besides the right viscosity another important property of the grease is that
oil must not separate from it with time.  If that happens, the oil can cause
all kinds of harm going wherever it is not wanted in the lens.

Asmo

CarlosMFreaza [cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx] kirjoitti:
2011/4/29 Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>.... The same is true of the focus
> cams in the Rollei TLR, if you relubricat them with normal light grease the
> focus focus is too loose. In the rollei the cam followers are adjustable but
> I don't think they should have to be adjusted when relubricating. Again, I
> don't know what sort of grease is suitable.

The Rollei Service Factory manual (1974) indicates the: "special
grease LO AL5/B1" to lubricate the focus cams. LO is for Losimol, a
German special lubricants manufacturer that still exists (english
version): http://www.losimol.de/start_e.htm
Losimol still manufactures special lubricants for cameras and others
fine mechanics products.

According a Jan Boettcher (Rollei Museum) info, Rollei is using for
the FX, FW and FT a "white" grease from Klueber for some focusing
mechanism parts, however they still use a Losimol amber grease  for
the curves focusing mechanism parts (f.e.cams). Losimol changed the
names for their lubricants but I think if someone is really interested
on the topic he could ask them for the equivalent directly. BTW, I
also think a good technician would about similar products.