[rollei_list] Re: Limit of Rolleicord Triotar

----- Original Message ----- From: "karqvlsg" <sextant@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, October 11, 2006 11:50 AM
Subject: [rollei_list] Limit of Rolleicord Triotar

What is the largest enlargement the memeber of this list would have found the Triotar of the Rolleicord II to be capable of?
Mine is approx 1948, a coated version.
I am aware that often you may crop the image and not always print the whole neg.
Would the best definition be around f8-11?
My previous experience has been the triplet lens used in the Chinese Seagull and Pearl River cameras.

Its probably sharpest at f/11. The negative sharpness will depend on how well the camera is set up. Try experimenting with a fixed subject and strobe lighting. I suspect you can make perfectly acceptable 16x20's with it.
The best film to test with is 100T-Max or Fuji Acros developed in full strength Microdol-X or Perceptol (they are identical). This results in extremely fine grain and not much acutance enhancement, which is what you want for lens testing. Triplets can be very good lenses but do not hold up well at larger stops.

Los Angeles, CA, USA