[rollei_list] Re: Lens coatings and veiling flare.

  • From: Carlos Manuel Freaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2009 08:06:02 -0700 (PDT)

Rollei TLR were provided with simple lens coating from 1949, during the TLR
regular production up to 1981 the TLR lenses had not multicoating layers, only
the Zeiss double layer coating; in 1972 Rollei considered multicoating lenses
expensive too much for the TLR and unnecessary due to the four and five
elements lenses, since Carl Zeiss would produce multicoated normal lenses,
Rollei only used Schneider  Xenotar and Xenar for the TLR from 1972/73. The
only Rolleiflex F provided with multicoated lenses was the F Platin, Planar
lens 2.8/80 HFT (actually it's a Zeiss T* multicoating made by Zeiss, it was
used "HFT" name for commercial issues and the agreements between Rollei and CZ
by that time), this Planar was used for the GX/FX afterwards, it was made from
the scratch by Zeiss 'cause they no longer had the tooling to manufacture the
TLR Planar.

The main problem about flare under the situations mentioned below is the lens
and camera age and their condition; light seals, black paint, light trap
adjustments and conditions suffer the aging situation even if well maintained,
anyway I have several samples taken with the 2.8C, 3.5F and 'cord IV where in
similar situations and despite the subtropical sun I don't get flare or if I
get it, it is maintained within reasonable limits, however I got once or twice
ugly flare due to the special angle sun-lens.

I'm convinced due to some tests that for old cameras like our TLRs, the f/stop
has a significant influence to control the flare in the situations referred
below, it could do a noticeable difference, I always try to shoot at f 5.6 and
smaller f stops for backlit and similars, Avedon shot at f8 with the TLR in
general. If my memory serves me good, you tend to shoot lens wide open or close
to wide open, perhaps it has to do with the flare and rollers reflection
problems.

Carlos

--- El mar 7-jul-09, Sanders McNew <sanders@xxxxxxxxx> escribió:

> I shoot a variety of older
> Rolleiflexes --
> a 3.5E and a 2.8C getting most of the
> work.  Their weakness, in my use, has
> always been veiling flare when shooting
> a strongly backlit subject, or in other
> conditions where the sun or a bright
> reflection is in the frame.
>
> Does anyone onlist know when F+H
> or its lens suppliers upgraded the lens
> coatings on the TLRs?  Are later TLR
> models more effective at suppressing
> veiling flare in these conditions?  Do
> I need to ask Austin for his GX to tame
> this beast?
>
> Sanders

> with 'subscribe' in the subject field OR by logging into
> www.freelists.org

> with 'unsubscribe' in the subject field OR by logging into
> www.freelists.org

¡Viví la mejor experiencia en la web!
Descargá gratis el nuevo Internet Explorer 8
http://downloads.yahoo.com/ieak8/?l=ar