[rollei_list] Re: Lens Tests

  • From: Ardeshir Mehta <ardeshir@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2005 13:10:56 -0500

Thanks (once again!) to Richard K. for this excellent post. Especially
this bit:

> "[...] one reason there is sometimes disagreement about the resolution
> of lenses."

So I was wondering - should not lens resolutions be measured with the
lens ALONE, and film resolution with the film ALONE? For suppose the
lens can resolve 600 lp/mm but the film can't, won't the test end up
skewed?

And if one day digital sensors can be made with elements so small and
so closely spaced that they are capable of resolving 600 lp/mm, won't
that same lens perform "better"?

Or else, could not lens resolution tests be done with extremely fine
grain film like "Gigabit Film"?

Cheers.

+++++