[rollei_list] Re: Leicas and Nikons and Rolleis

  • From: Allen Zak <azak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 18:28:00 -0400

On Sep 29, 2009, at 11:28 PM, CarlosMFreaza wrote:

1) The Rollei TLR cameras bodies don't use simple aluminum, they use
die cast aluminum. Aluminum is cast at a temperature of 650 ºC (1200
ºF). It is alloyed with Silicon and Copper,  Silicon increases the
melt fluidity, reduces machinability, Copper increases hardness and
reduces the ductility, these materials proportions can vary according
the aluminum use.
Rollei TLR bodies are very resistant from any point of view, I have
verified it along decades. Alumetall from Nürnberg was the F&H
aluminum provider

In a half century of photography with Rolleis, maybe 13 of them, more or less, my only recollection of ever needing a repair for damage was after I had been obliged to drag a Rolleicord V strapped to my ankle about 50 feet through a very narrow cave. The film counter needed to be adjusted, apparently a minor fix at $15, done by Burleigh Brooks, if memory serves. Although that was the worst abuse I ever inflicted on any of them, there were the inevitable bumps and bruises from photojournalism, social photography and the like. On several occasions I was seduced (briefly, I feel so cheap!) by Yashicamats, not a bad performers but although used least, requiring more repairs than all other of my cameras combined. Ever (some people need a few knocks to get things through their thick skulls.) Usually service for a Rollei was routine CLA or to fix something the previous owner neglected to tell me. My love for the marque is mystical.

2) The Nikon FM2/n has a long-standing reputation for reliability and
durability and  it was a photojournalists favorite for this reason. It
has an extremely strong body of copper silumin alloy. The FM2's film
transport consists of high-strength hardened metal gears and moving
parts, mounted on clusters of ball bearings. The vertical metal
shutter, originally titanium and switching to aluminum during the FM2n
life cycle, utilizes precision tapered high-strength blades and
oil-less self-lubricating bearings. The mirror linkage uses the same
mechanism found on Nikon's professional F2, with some modern
improvements designed to further reduce effects of vibration and
mirror bounce. The camera features Nikon's famous close tolerance
assembly and minimal space lubrication, meaning that it will reliably
operate in temperature extremes of -40 °C to +50 °C.

This helps explain much of my experience with the FM series, which was frankly better than I had expected. My first Nikons were Fs; dependable, optically good enough, but I never liked them because of weight and ergonomics. They were a burden to carry, especially two at a time, and I think that having to frequently stretch my index finger to reach the rear-positioned shutter release button may have caused a chronic ache I experience today. When Nikon introduced the FM, I was interested and eventually replaced the Fs with an FM, FM2 and FM2n. My expectation was the FMs would probably not hold up as well, but I was willing to accept the probability of more frequent repairs and replacements in exchange for much more pleasant camera gear to live with. Instead, however, those lasted me more than 20 years with no repairs necessary other than for a sidewalk drop on one that was returned to service at reasonable cost. At the time we parted, they were all functioning perfectly, and I hope still are.

Allen Zak ---