[rollei_list] Re: 'Kodak, Don't Take My Kodachrome'

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 16:07:02 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Jensen" <jwjensen356@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, June 01, 2005 3:36 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: 'Kodak, Don't Take My Kodachrome'

> Richard, it was in the early 50s (1954?, 1955?) that
> the courts ruled that the monopoly Kodak had on
> processing Kodachrome had to stop.  As a result of
> that ruling, independent labs could get into the
> business of processing Kodachrome.  If Kodak wanted to
> stop processing Kodachrome they could have/should have
> stopped then.  But they didn't.
>
> John

  I'm not sure what issues the court decided. The main one
was that Kodak was including the price of processing in the
price of the film. I think by that time Kodak had already
licensed some independent labs to process Kodachrome to take
the load off Rochester, but I am not sure. I think its
likely that Kodak never made much money from processing. The
film was sold as a system, much like Kodak's original box
camera which was returned to the factory for processing and
printing and returned loaded with fresh film.
   I think Kodachrome is a victim of the shrinking market
for film. Remember, that Kodak and Agfa are very large
companies who made enormous volumes of photographic
products. When the market for something shrinks there are a
lot of operating costs that don't shrink, I think this is
what all of the photo products companies are fighting.
Kodak, at least, seems to be trying to keep some aspect of
their original business but the pressures of having to
return a reasonable profit to investors pretty much limits
what management can do. Some management is simply ruthless
about loosing parts of a company, sell them off for what can
be gotten or simply eliminate them, take a one time charge,
and be finished with it. Where there is a stable or
expanding market there is reason to try to fix poorly
performing businesses but where there is simply not much of
a market, or it is shrinking, the problem is not a broken
business that could expand its share but a simple lack of a
place to sell the products no matter how well they are made
or how well the company is run. This is a completely
different thing in my mind from the disastrous and
reprehensible mis-management of companies like General
Motors or the big steel companies in the U.S. who just
decided to shut down whole cities and move elsewhere. Those
moves were made in an attempt to substantially reduce
operating costs by eliminating well paid labor, this is
something else. I wish Kodak luck in preserving their
traditional business. Actually I also wish Ilford and Agfa
well, but even if one or all survive they will do so in a
different form than existed in the past.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx