[rollei_list] Re: Kodachrome - the truth

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 15:37:27 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Frederic Fichter" <ffichter@xxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, October 13, 2005 2:18 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Kodachrome - the truth

Underexposure is entirely my fault.
Processing error ? That's what I thought but it's the only slide on
the roll that shows these symptoms...
The scan is OK, I have the slide before me and it looks the same, on
my monitor at least.

Fred

On Oct 13, 2005, at 11:14 PM, Richard Knoppow wrote:

  Assuming this isn't the result of aging it looks like a
processing error. Is the original this dark?

If the slide is very underexposed it might be a color shift from lack of tracking in the film. Its hard to know. I have a number of Kodachrome travel slides which are of very dark interiors and are uniformly neutral. All of these were processed by A&I when they did Kodachrome. To my eye there is a slight magenta cast to most of them. Since I never had Kodachrome processed by another lab I don't know if this was a film characteristic or a processing artifact.
I can fix your image in Photoshop. I tried this to see if I could figure out what went wrong but its hard to do with a RBG JPEG of an original CMY image.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx