[rollei_list] Re: Kodachrome

  • From: Eric Goldstein <egoldste@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 16:43:52 -0500

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 4:30 PM, Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>    Kodak has had to adjust to going from a perfectly enormous market to a
> niche market for conventional photographic products and to shift is capital
> into other businesses. Its still in the imaging business but essentially is
> now an electronics company and not a chemical company. While Kodak has
> suffered from poor management in the past I think the current problems are
> mostly from a changing world.

Extremely poor management. Kodak was very early into digital imaging
(in professional products), as was another extremely poorly managed
company in the space, Polariod. These two companies, with some
foresight, patience and a bit of product development acumen, could
well have remained leaders in the category. Instead, they decided that
digital imaging and photography was never going to amount to much, as
if it did, they were film companies after all...

As proof, Kodak is the established leader in digital film restoration,
a line they managed to stick with.

So I take the opposite view... the fault is not their stars but themselves...

Eric Goldstein