[rollei_list] Re: Kodachrome

  • From: Carlos Manuel Freaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 05:16:29 -0800 (PST)

You can see in any good book about the WWII with color images why Kodachrome
was one of the films preferred to use in graphic arts/printing media for
decades, most color images look very good in WWII books printed during the
seventies and starting the eighties when did not exist PS, using images about
30 and 35 years old. Even the famous portrait the photographer Steve McCurry
took for the NGM about the afghan girl (NGM cover in June 1985, I have it in
the magazine about the NGM 100 best covers) was taken using Kodachrome due to
this film reputation at the high quality graphic arts/printing media.

BTW, the commercial problem for Kodachrome was the process, it's a complex
process requiring very high exactness since the dyes couplers are incorporated
during the film development, in the other hand the original Agfa color system
included the couplers in the film via layers simplifying film development very
much and then you have the current color films C-41 and E-6 process based on
the old Agfa color system(BTW, the Agfa method had serious problems
initially).Kodachrome was changing from the original K-12 process to the
current K-14 process, however the main process features did not change very
much.
I'm thinking about to buy some Kodachrome film in Freestyle, it wouldn't be
different regarding the '50s and '60s when my father waited up to three months
for his Kodachrome slides:

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/1560028-Kodak-Kodachrome-64-iso-35mm-x-36-exp.-KR?cat_id=1301

Carlos

      Yahoo! Cocina