[rollei_list] Re: Kodachrome

  • From: Douglas Nygren <dnygr@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 12:01:55 -0500

Kodachrome is archival pure and simple and that is one of its virtues.
Doug

On Feb 27, 2009, at 11:47 AM, chatanooga@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

Emmanuel
Chacun a son gout and all that but do you  feel there are some areas where K'chrome  shines  over the more modern slide films?
rgds
Chat

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 10:45 AM, Emmanuel Bigler <Emmanuel.Bigler@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
chatanooga@xxxxxxxxx a écrit :

Oops, a liitle bit of research confirms that one can continue to send it to Lausanne. rgds Chat

 Yes, this is so simple.
>From France I have to pay 1.25 euro extra for postage to Lausanne, the beloved Case Postale CH-1001, Lausanne, Swiss Confederation.

So the overall price to pay for my 39 slides (I use a Rollei 35 and always manage to get 39 slides for 36 ;-) is what you can compute from the process-paid price of your best European Kodachrome dealer ; plus, for me, 1.25 euro. It takes about 12-13 days altogether to come back home after a complex journey, crossing the snowy Jura on a mule's back, then after a check-point at Renens (VD), be stuffed inside a container at Zurich airport, eventually reach Kansas by a pionneer's horse-wagon, be processed there by proud and beloved craftsmen that we wish to support faithfully, then back to the Swiss Riviera, and back to my remote place re-crossing the Jura.

 But this is so convenient.

There are no longer any local E6 lab in my town, I have to mail order and mail-send everything for slide film and slide processing. Now we have to think in terms of a global European market, including Kansas which really deserves to be considered as a Western appendix of Canton-de-Vaud, Switzerland ;-)

So as paradoxical at it may seem, 135 Kodachrome Kansas-processed-paid is an excellent choice for me both in terms of price & service.

 --
 Emmanuel