[rollei_list] Re: Ivor Matanle

  • From: Jan Decher <Jan.Decher@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 18:13:45 -0500

I would fully second this. I go to the Matanle books again and again for information and I actually like a lot of his photography. Maybe becasue it is not too artsy ("elevated") but very personal and approachable. I really like the concept of his books, show the cameras all taken with classic cameras and include all photography data (camera and darkroom!) and some applications (sample pictures). AND information on the picture subjects (locations, names, littel stories). I wished Mtanle would do a book on rangefinders only just like the one he did on SLRs.

Jan

Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2009 11:39:51 -0600
From: Laurence Segil <ljsegil@xxxxxxx>
I would respectfully suggest that although his books may have their
shortcomings as all such works will, that Matanle's books on classic cameras
are fine sources of information and can be a valuable part of any
photographer's library.  One need only look for comparison at the
Hicks/Schultz book on rangefinder cameras to better appreciate the breadth
and depth of information that Matanle provides in his books.
Larry