[rollei_list] Re: Is your Rollei your only camera ? (addendum)

  • From: Ardeshir Mehta <ardeshir@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2005 16:26:52 -0500

On Sunday, March 27, 2005, at 03:24  PM, Fred Fichter wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I'm thinking about trading all the serious cameras (japanese SLR +
> TLR) I have around for a Rollei, as I'm getting more and more
> interested in medium format and I don't have the money to keep all
> this gear.

But you don't really need too much money to have a large collection of
different formats. Take my collection:

1. Zorki-4 (Russian rangefinder Look-a-Leica 35mm) with 50 f/2 mm
Jupiter lens and f/4 150 mm telephoto lens - $45 from the Ukraine (via
eBay)

2. Speed Graphic 4x5 with 127 mm Ektar - $355 (eBay again)

3. Busch Pressman 2x3 with 101 mm Wollensak Raptar lens and a Grafmatic
- free, a gift from a friend who had no use for it any more

4. f/3.5 100 mm Tessar to replace the Raptar, which is very
disappointing - $100 from Donald Seney, a member of our Rollei users'
group, who put it up for sale on a Friday about six weeks ago

5. Rollei TLR f/3.5 Tessar - $250 on eBay (I overpaid, I'm sorry to say)

6. Rollei TLR f/2.8 Xenotar - $255 on eBay (I got lucky!)

7. Minox B - $75 (again from Donald)

8. Canon EOS Elan 7 body only - $147 from eBay (no lens for it yet)

9. 10-inch Commercial Ektar to cover 8x10 - $250 (again from Donald; no
body for it yet)

10 Kodak throwaway 35mm camera from the local drug store, to keep in
the car for use as and when the opportunity presents itself, and I
happen to have no other camera at hand - $10

Total $1,487.

This is not an exorbitant amount. I must have spent at least as much on
processing and prints! One of my prints - a panorama, 20 x 48 inches,
made from two 4x5 Velvia slides stitched together in Photoshop - cost
me over $150 just for the print, and it's going to cost me over $500
for the frame, now.

Also, I spent all this money on equipment over a period of about nine
months, which makes it less than $200 per month - not nearly enough to
break the bank!

Cheers.

Ardeshir <http://homepage.mac.com/ardeshir>