[rollei_list] Re: Is your Rollei your only camera ?

  • From: Allen Zak <azak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 11:18:01 -0500

Used to be.  Decades ago, Rollei was a viable choice for general
photography, but equipment capabilities and expectations were
different.  In the mid 1950s when I got started many photographers made
do with one or few cameras.  It was not unusual to find professionals
setting up shop with a single 4X5 Speed Graphic, sometimes a Rollei.
My first experience with "serious" photography was with a pre WW2
Rolleiflex borrowed for a weekend.  The experience was largely
responsible for my subsequent commitment to photography.

Over time, technical advances made possible increased imaging
capabilities to which photographers and viewers adapted.  Although
there were stretches, lasting sometimes for years, when a Rollei was my
only, eventually I accumulated an inventory of 35 mm, 4X5 and other
makes of 6X6.  These days, that includes digital.  But Rollei is the
camera I return to when I wish to replenish my soul.  Call it a
pathetic attempt to recapture my youth.

Allen Zak