[rollei_list] Re: Idle Musings on Darkroom Chemistry, B&W

  • From: Jordan Wosnick <jwosnick@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 23:30:25 -0400

I too have been using Thornton's two-bath developer a lot lately -- and have been getting great results. Storage life seems to be excellent, image quality is great, and it's nice not to have to get out the thermometer. :)

Jordan

Petr Dvorak wrote:
Let me add my 2c to this interesting thread. My most favorite and almost exclusive developer for 120 and 4x5 films is Barry Thornton's 2 bath formula, a metol based compensating developer. Barry started with Stoeckler's and Ansel's D23 formulas and modified them slightly for modern emulsions. It is very cheap (I mix the solutions at home, the chemicals are cheap and easy to buy online), it lasts forever, it is not time and temperature sensitive; and produces very nice and even results with good details in shades without blowing out highlights. For those who don't mind using 2 bath developers, this is an interesting alternative to Diafine. http://www.awh-imaging.co.uk/barrythornton/2bath.htm Petr

On 7/24/07, *Gene Johnson* <genej2ster@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:genej2ster@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    My favorite developer is a homebrew that was developed by Patrick
    Gainer and tweaked by a bunch of folks on a BW list I was on.  My
    particular iteration is a concentrate of Phenidone, Ascorbic acid, and
    KBr (originally in propylene glycol, but I use car antifreeze!), that
    is diluted at time of use with water, borax, and sodium carbonate.
    oneThe working solution is one shot. Anyway, if anyone wants the
    recipe I'll provide it, but I've had great luck with it for a long
    time.  The concentrate seems to last forever, and the results are Xtol
    like.

--

Jordan Wosnick
jwosnick@xxxxxxxxxxx