[rollei_list] Re: "I photograph better with a TLR" (was: Is your Rollei your only camera ?)

  • From: Ardeshir Mehta <ardeshir@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 17:23:11 -0500

On Monday, March 28, 2005, at 05:15  PM, Nick Roberts wrote:

> I meant to say that I much prefer shooting on the TLR for some reason
> - I think it's the way that the subject becomes abstract in the WLF.
> It's almost exactly the opposite process to rangefinder photography,
> where the camera doesn't intrude into the picture making process. With
> a TLR, the camera imposes itself on the process - I take different
> pictures with each type of camera - and different again with an SLR.
> But I photograph better with a TLR.
>
> Nick

Very important points. I too find that my choice of camera changes the
way I take photographs.

OTOH I don't have a distinct preference one way or another. Sometimes I
pick up one of my Rolleiflex TLRs, at other times my Zorki, and yet at
other times, my Speed Graphic. Depending on how I feel at the moment!
(When my Minox B arrives - which should be any day now - I'm sure I'll
take photos like I've never taken before.)

Ardeshir <http://homepage.mac.com/ardeshir>