[rollei_list] Re: Hello and questions

  • From: Frank Dernie <Frank.Dernie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2006 06:54:04 +0100

I have never used my 5008i for street photography but I find it quite manageable for a heavy camera. The 50EL is the old optical formula and is no slouch but inferior to the FLE version. AFAIK the 150 Sonnars are the same optically the EL being simpler having, for example a screw rather than Bayonet filter mount.
Some prefer Zeiss some Schneider, the MTF curves which are supplied with the lenses don't really favour one make over the other.
Frank

On 11 Aug, 2006, at 23:33, Yefei He wrote:

Hello, Folks,

    I'm new to the list. I'm merely a hobby photographer. I have
thought of getting a Rolleiflex SLR since picking up my first
serious camera, a Pentax ZX-5n. That's back in 1999, there's no
sign of the impending digital doom yet, and the Rolleiflex 6008i
still cost 4 grand. Well, I guess 7 years later the digital
trend benefited some of us hobbyists by bringing the prices of MF
cameras down. So I finally took the plunge and got a used 6008i-1
with the 80/2.8 Planar PQ lens, disregarding the long term
availability of 120 films. Now, the prices of the lenses don't
seem to have gone down yet:( I may stick to one lens for a while,
but I would like to get some suggestions from you experienced
folks about other lenses for the 6008i-1. I have a variety of
35mm gear, but I would like to use the Rollei as much as possible.
I think portraits will be one major area, but I also like to take
landscape shots. And, is the 6008i manageable for use in street
photography? I guess Rollei laid the easy route out for clueless
people like me by providing the EL 50/4 Distagon and 150/4 Sonnar
lenses. But of course I'm interested in more advanced stuff too.
Is the 50/4 FLE PQ a different design from the 50/4 EL? The PQ has
floating elements, maybe the EL doesn't? How about the difference
between the 150 EL and the 150 PQS in their optics? How about the
50/2.8 Super Angulon and 180/2.8 Tele-Xenar? Some say Schneider
lenses are better than Zeiss ones. Of course those two are faster
than the Zeiss ones at similar focal lengths. Man, this is going
to cost me a fortune still!

    Best Regards,

    Yefei

--- Rollei List