[rollei_list] Re: Hello again, and a lens question

  • From: CarlosMFreaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 22:49:08 -0300

2009/12/11 Stephen Attaway >
To quote from Ivor Matanle: "The portrait of Mr Robert Cox was taken in 1974
> to mark his fifty years of service to his company ... with a 50mm f1.5
> uncoated Zeiss Sonnar, and shows perfectly the curious characteristic of
> defined yet slightly unsharp detail that makes the optical quality of
> classic lenses so attractive."

I tend to disagree with Ivor Matanle, the uncoated Zeiss Sonnar 1.5/50
was designed to be a very sharp lens, in general lens designers look
for lenses to produce an image as close to the real image as possible,
it means aberrations free, sharp and the best  micro-contrast, except
lenses for special purposes. It's true some old lenses produce
pleasant images thanks to some no well corrected aberrations (I think
about portraits specially), but they couldn't be the standard to
obtain a good image.

This is a sample about a snapshot "portrait" taken with the uncoated
Contax II Sonnar 1.5/50 _wide open_ f1.5 and 1/1250 sec shutter speed
, I think the in focus areas show very good detail for a 71 years old
uncoated lens despite a scanner not so good for 35mm :
http://www.flickr.com/photos/itarfoto/3199809044/