[rollei_list] Re: Heliar...Sonnar 2.8/85 Rollei QBM

  • From: CarlosMFreaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2009 16:56:13 -0300

2009/12/4 Aaron Reece <oboeaaron@xxxxxxx>:
>        Of the small stable-full of lenses I own and use, my all-around
> favorite is the 85mm Sonnar for Rollei SL-35. There is an airyness to the
> images that I find very attractive, but it is not the least bit soft - far
> from it. Perhaps "atmosphere" is a better term than "airyness," which of
> course I just made up. Objectively speaking, it may result from a
> combination of slightly reduced contrast compared with lenses such as the
> Planar and outstanding resolution. I don't know whether this is actually the
> same formula as the famous 50mm and 85mm versions for Contax rangefinders,
> but if it is I can understand the enthusiasm.

Since your doubt was not clarified, I have a bit of time to try to do it today.
The Sonnar 2.8/85 lens Rollei QBM I,II,III and IV mount for reflex
cameras is a four elements lens with a thick third element and  one
rear element; the lens diagram looks similar regarding the Sonnar
2.8/85 with Contax-Yashica mount but this one has two thin cemented
rear elements and then five elements. The Rollei 35 five elements
Sonnar 2.8/40 lens diagram is a bit similar too but it has two
cemented rear elements forming a very thick group.
The classic pre-war design Sonnar 2/85 lens for Contax RF cameras had
5 elements, two of them were rear elements, the new Sonnar 2/85 ZM
mount for RF cameras with M mount has six elements, all these lenses
are not identical of course, but they share an unmistakable Sonnar
type design.
The Sonnar 2.8/85 for the different Rollei Sl 35 models had HFT
multicoating from 1974.
This is a page about the Zeiss lenses with Rollei QBM mount, the
Sonnar 2.8/85 description has an URL, if you click it, a Zeiss page
will appear with a lenses list, you can open the similar lens
Contax-Yashica mount PDF document:
http://www.taunusreiter.de/Cameras/Rollei_QBM_Zeiss_dt.html

This is a page where you can see cuts about the classic Sonnar 1.5/50
and 2/85 lenses mounted on the lens barrel:
http://www.taunusreiter.de/Cameras/Zeiss_Fakes.html

And this is CZ technical data sheet on the new Sonnar 2/85 ZM:
http://www.zeiss.com/C12567A8003B8B6F/EmbedTitelIntern/Sonnar2_85mm_ZM_e/$File/Sonnar2_85mm_ZM_e.pdf

or: http://tinyurl.com/yb36z38