[rollei_list] Re: Heliar, Sonnar, Planar [WAS Re: off topic rants]

  • From: Aaron Reece <oboeaaron@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 04 Dec 2009 16:39:44 -0500

Hi Sanders,

Of the small stable-full of lenses I own and use, my all-around favorite is the 85mm Sonnar for Rollei SL-35. There is an airyness to the images that I find very attractive, but it is not the least bit soft - far from it. Perhaps "atmosphere" is a better term than "airyness," which of course I just made up. Objectively speaking, it may result from a combination of slightly reduced contrast compared with lenses such as the Planar and outstanding resolution. I don't know whether this is actually the same formula as the famous 50mm and 85mm versions for Contax rangefinders, but if it is I can understand the enthusiasm. Also, the 85mm focal length is one that I find fits my visualizations much of the time. 50mm "normal" lenses always seem to me to be either too short or too long, never just right.

Regarding medium format lenses, my experience is limited to my Xenar, Tessar, and Xenotar TLRs. The Xenar, as has been remarked upon before, often outshines the Tessar and even the Xenotar for sharpness under the right circumstances (optimum aperture, plenty of light, etc.) but you do have to be more careful with flare. To be fair, it probably needs a good internal cleaning. Also, the bokeh out toward the corners is absolutely terrible. The Xenotar I think is an exceptional lens as well, with none of the shortcomings of the Xenar. The Tessar in my MX, while very good, does not quite come close to the sharpness of the Xenar or Xenotar. Ironically, though, it is the camera I use the most, mainly because I shoot mostly black-and-white and use contrast filters almost all the time, and all of my filters are Bay I size owing to "economic challenges." Also, while the camera is not a beater, it is less valuable and I feel more confident taking it into places I would not take my Xenotar.

Best wishes,
Aaron

On Dec 3, 2009, at 10:38 PM, Sanders McNew wrote:

Which is best?  <Insert evil grin here.>  Which do you prefer and
what do you see as the strengths of each?