[rollei_list] Re: Heliar, Sonnar, Planar [WAS Re: off topic rants]

  • From: Laurence Segil <ljsegil@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2009 14:41:39 -0600

Beats me, of course, but that's why one can attribute magical properties to
lenses and make them your favorites for what may only be happenstance.
Currently in love with an uncoated 210mm Goerz Doeppel Anastigmat Series III
f/6.8 (Dagor precursor) based on a single 8x10 image taken over the summer.
But the same scene shot from the same spot with a host of different lenses
(including the 300mm Heliar and a state of the current art Schneider 210mm
Super Symmar XL) didn't come close to the glow of the DAIII image.  Probably
luck and magic, maybe change in the lighting on a partly cloudy afternoon,
but I choose to credit the lens as the most readily identifiable and
verifiable difference between how the different images were made.  Otherwise
the camera (Canham Traditional 8x10) was the same, the film type (8x10 Fuji
Pro 160S) and holders were the same, all film processed at the same time by
the same lab (Precision Imaging, now Phoenix Imaging, Chicago), scanned by
me in the same fashion on the same scanner (Epson V750) and handled in
pretty similar ways in photoshop (color inverted with CF systems ColorNeg
plug-in), printed on the same paper (17x22 Ilford Gold Fiber Silk) with the
same printer and ink (Epson 3800) and admired (though only by me, alas)
under the same lighting conditions (my mess of a "study").  Yet there are
very clear differences between the different renderings (a 19" Red Dot Artar
produced the sharpest image) and I love the look of the Goerz image.  So do
I know it's the lens?  No, but I think there's a pretty good chance it's a
contributing factor.
But it's still probably mostly magic.
Best
Larry Segil