[rollei_list] Re: Happy MLK Day

  • From: "Neil Gould" <neil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 07:18:35 -0800

Hi Austin,

> From: "austin.franklin@xxxxxxxxxxx"
<austin.franklin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 10:45:41 -0500
>
> Opera is not living uncomfortably.  I'm still not sure
what it is exactly
> she does to make all that money ;-)
>
> Regards,
>
> Austin
>
>From what I've seen over the years you are a reasonably
intelligent person, much more so than what it would require
to know exactly what she does to make all that money.  ;-)

What bothers *me* are those that rail against one example
while ignoring similar examples, effectively assigning blame
not to an abstract, but to an individual or group. It
appears that you are railing against Opra for making money
in the same way that EVERY national television personality
makes it. If one's issue is with the earnings of television
personalities, or with the general purpose of the medium,
then should that not be the focus? Not having seen one of
her shows, nor read one of her magazines, I am not inclined
to care one way or another about her particular corner of
that world. However, railing against her while repeatedly
misspelling her name comes off as a "coded discussion" on
the earnings of people of color, and I find that offensive.

--
Neil