[rollei_list] Re: Happy MLK Day

  • From: Douglas Nygren <dnygr@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 07:56:30 -0500

Austin,
In using the word "elitist" you are echoing the blathering you scorn.

Doug

On Jan 21, 2009, at 11:23 PM, Daniel Ridings wrote:

Fortunately, Austin, democracy works.

You lost. Live with it. :-)

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 10:27 PM, austin.franklin@xxxxxxxxxxx
<austin.franklin@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Rob,

Having said that I would say this particular inauguration was an
'event' of the 'People' rather than a person or a party.

I'd have to disagree. I found it offensive that a lot of "entertainers"
are given a stage at a political event like this.  Who the f is Opera
Winfrey?  No one elected her to squat.  It was a circus more than an
inauguration IMO.  Tom Hanks?  Why is he being given a podium during a
presidential inauguration? Obama is being treated as a "rock star", and that, to me, as well as the blubbering and drooling over him, is offensive.

I turn on the TV this morning to listen to sports scores, and on a sports program, the announcer is blubbering about Obama this and Obama that. If
it was McCain who won, I guarantee all I would have heard about was
sports...which is what I was supposed to be hearing about anyway. If I
want to hear political blathering, there are channels dedicated to the
such, and I would have turned there.

Entertainers and sports "figures" were considered lower class some century ago. Now, for some stupid human trick of a reason, some of them make big money, and because of that, they are given some credence when it comes to politics and opinion. Some of them sure do real good for "humanity", but most of it is grandstanding and puffery. Well, I guess I just figured out why there is a blurry line between politicians and entertainers. Sigh.

I'm more afraid of what Obama's wife is going to do than what he's going to do. She'll probably have me wanting for the days of Hillary... But in reality, I wish Obama and his staff well (though I wish he chose *anyone* but Biden for VP). Obama comes across as a decent guy, a little haughty
and elitist, but a whole lot better than Clinton or Gore.

Regards,

Austin