[rollei_list] Re: Happy MLK Day

  • From: Robert Meier <robertmeier@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 09:08:10 -0600 (CST)

Here are the 2004 CNN results:

Voter demographics
The following data is based on exit polls.

Social groups and the presidential vote, 2004

Size
Bush
Kerry
Nader
Party

Democratic
37%
11%
89%
0%
Independent
26%
48%
49%
1%
Republican
37%
93%
6%
0%
Ideology

Liberal
21%
13%
85%
1%
Moderate
45%
45%
54%
0%
Conservative
34%
84%
15%
0%
Race

Black
11%
11%
88%
0%
Hispanic
8%
44%
53%
2%
White
77%
58%
41%
0%
Asian
2%
44%
56%
*
Other
2%
40%
54%
2%
Sex

Female
54%
48%
51%
0%
Male
46%
55%
44%
0%
Religion

Protestant
54%
59%
40%
0%
Catholic
27%
52%
47%
0%
Jewish
3%
25%
74%
0%
Other
7%
23%
74%
1%
Family Income

Less than $15,000
8%
36%
63%
0%
$15,000–$29,999
15%
42%
57%
0%
$30,000-$49,999
22%
49%
50%
0%
$50,000-$74,999
23%
56%
43%
0%
$75,000-$99,999
14%
55%
45%
0%
$100,000-$149,999
11%
57%
42%
1%
$150,000-$199,999
4%
58%
42%
*
Greater than $200,000
3%
63%
35%
1%
Education

No High School
4%
49%
50%
0%
H.S. Graduate
22%
52%
47%
0%
Some College
32%
54%
46%
0%
College Graduate
26%
52%
46%
1%
Postgraduate Study
16%
44%
55%
1%
Union Membership

Union Member
14%
38%
61%
1%
Non-Union Member
86%
54%
45%
0%
Age

18–29 years old
17%
45%
54%
0%
30-44 years old
29%
53%
46%
1%
45–59 years old
30%
51%
48%
0%
60 years or older
24%
54%
46%
0%
Region

Northeast
22%
46%
53%
1%
South
32%
58%
42%
0%
Midwest
26%
51%
48%
0%
West
20%
49%
50%
1%
Sexual Orientation

Heterosexual
96%
53%
46%
0%
Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual
4%
23%
77%
0%
Gun Ownership

Gun Owner in Household
41%
63%
36%
1%
No Gun Owner in Household
59%
43%
57%
0%
Views on Iraq War

Approve
51%
85%
14%
0%
Disapprove
45%
12%
87%
0%
An asterisk (*) indicates a statistically insignificant number of responses.

Source: 2004 CNN Election Exit Poll[33]

On Jan 20, 2009, at 12:07 AM, Marc James Small wrote:

At 12:34 AM 1/20/2009, Robert Meier wrote:
>Both figures are from Wikipedia.

Thank you. A Wikipedia article which does not cite a further source is not acceptable as evidence of anything, I fear.

In any event, my principal point was that US Blacks have, since 1950, been becoming more inclined to vote Republican. That has to be viewed in the context of all elections over a period of decades. A single election proves nothing: Roanoke, Virginia, long had a Black Republican mayor who regularly got 70% or more of the Black vote but that is an extraordinary circumstance and proves little save that Noel was much loved and respected by most of the citizens of that fine town. This past Presidential election was also singular, and you cannot build a case on a single instance.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!