[rollei_list] Re: H. Scherer and Zeiss Contax

  • From: Jan Decher <Jan.Decher@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 10:08:48 -0400

I came very close to having a Contax IIa or IIIa restored by Henry just=20=

because of the convincing and enthusiastic words on his website.  The=20
exterior cosmetics of the two Contaxes (IIa and IIIa)  I bought didn't=20=

seem worth the expensive procedure Henry takes them through.
Also the longer Zeiss lenses I biefly owned (4/85mm Triotar and 4/135mm=20=

Sonnar) and the finder accessories didn't impress me compared  to their=20=

Leica SM equivalents.  Zeiss chrome is not as good as that of Leitz and=20=

the tolerances of moving parts (focussing) seems to be wider in Zeiss. =20=

The interior and exterior bayonets of the Contax RF are a most peculiar=20=

way of attaching lenses.  The little focussing wheely for your right=20
index finger only works for the standard lenses in the interior=20
bayonet.  All other lenses fit on the exterior bayonet and have to be=20
focussed in the "modern" way with your left hand on the lens.

The other thing that kept me from moving ahead with building a Zeiss=20
Contax system was the price of the wide angle Biogons on EBAY.  The=20
availability of new SC lenses from Voigtl=E4nder=20
(http://www.cameraquest.com./nrfVClens.htm) makes the issue worth=20
reconsidering. Anyone have a really clean IIa or IIIa (red dial !) with=20=

Sonnar 1.5/50mm or Biogon 2.8/35mm for sale?
Jan