[rollei_list] First 2.8F and 3.5F "white Face"

  • From: CarlosMFreaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 10:07:22 -0300

Carlos M.Freaza wrote:
<...I did a similar job registering the SN "white face" 2.8F cameras
in eBay and other sites trying to establish the SN for the <first 2.8F
"white face" and I concluded -writing from memory- it was about the SN
2470000, with Planar lens,
<   camera manufactured about 1970, I have the data in other computer
at my office and then available on Monday...>

The list is silent; perhaps the close Christmas Eve is keeping the
members occupied about other things. Merry Christmas!

The highest 2.8F SN no "white face" I have registered is: 2.8F
2470931, Planar 2.8/80 SN 5030661; the lowest 2.8F "white face" I have
regisered is:  2.8F 2472196, Planar 2.8/80  SN 5031783 and then the
first white face is between these two numbers, perhaps 2471000 or
2472000. For example the SN 2473778 and 2478114 are white face too
(Planars 5119796 and 5391260); 2.8F 2469468 and 2.8F 2469890 (Planars
4876103 and 4873275; note that these two cameras are from the same
batch, the higher camera SN has the lower Planar SN, it could hapen
sometimes and for the same batch specially) are not "white face".
Please note that the referred no "white face" 2.8F cameras have
identical features regarding the "white face" except for the front
panel.
Prochnow says that the 2.8F and 3.5F white face appeared at the middle
of 1971, the Rollei Factory manual says that 2.8F and 3,5F "white
face" appeared in 1970, I think the manual is right for this case,
changes appeared first at factory and afterward in the official prices
list that Prochnow used very much as source.

The first 3.5F "white face" is another story. If you follow Prochnow
data literally is easy, the first 3.5F "white face" had Xenotar lens
and any 3.5F Planar "white face" is not authentic due to according
Prochnow the 3.5F was provided with Xenotar lens only from 1966;
however as he wrote me once, the fact he mentions a new feature or
modification for a model does not mean the previous ones were
eliminated suddenly, several times there were transition periods for
different reasons, it could explain the  evidence about authentic 3.5F
"white face" cameras with Planar lens and I say "evidence" because
these Planar lenses serial numbers are correlative regarding the
Planar SN for the 2.8F "white face", f.e.the 3.5F SN 2850578, Planar
3.5/75 SN 5372xxx "white face" (item  260500907210 at the auction
site), the Planar number  is higher than some 2.8F Planar white face
serial numbers and then it could be right for a "white face" version.
Anyway I did not do a register for the 3.5F white face, but I have
seen several 3.5F white face with Planar lens, some of them were not
authentic, but others looked authentic really.