[rollei_list] Re: F&H some years before the TLR

  • From: CarlosMFreaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 12:28:47 -0300

2010/11/8 Edward Meyers <aghalidebw@xxxxxxxxx>:
> Carlos,
>
> The Simmons Brothers actually invented the Heidoscop in Germany, working for
> Franke & Heidecke. They then moved to the U.S.

Ed, I'm afraid you are wrong, the Heidoscop is a stereo camera showing
nothing very special regarding other stereo cameras from the same
time, it has a clear link with the Voigtländer Stereflektoscop from
1914, designed in part by R Heidecke when he worked for Voigtländer,
Heidecke needed to circumvent his previous designs patented for
Voigtlämder and then he developed the new reflex finder D.R.G.M.
751883 and a new air bracket stereo shutter, D.R.G.M. 779426; the
Heidescop was developed around the Heidecke´s shutter and the
Heideckes's reflex viewfinder. You can read several details about the
Heidoscop development in the Rollei Report 1 where the Simmon brothers
are not mentioned.
This is the Voigtländer Stereflekstocop from 1914, you can see that
the same mind (Heidecke) is behind the Heidoscop design (" ...this
Voigtländer was the godfather of the first Heidoscop altough it was
not a copy..." Prochnow RR 1, page  2-38) :
http://www.lungov.com/wagner/c/026c.html