[rollei_list] Re: F16 Rule was Re: New Pics Posted....Rolleiflex and Zeiss Ikon images..

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 07:54:00 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "James Davis" <jamesd@xxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, February 01, 2006 1:55 AM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: F16 Rule was Re: New Pics Posted....Rolleiflex and Zeiss Ikon images..

redleica wrote:
I can understand that western meters read inaccuratly as they are not very accurate with a wide acceptance angle.
One can eliminate all the guess work in metering by getting one resonably accurate spot meter and calibrating from its readings.
I conclude that good enough is not good enough for metering and then using aRollei, surely this defeats the object of using this fine instument.

I have a Weston Master II meter and never had any real problems with it,
usually got exposures as good as I think I can get. The process does
involve waving the meter around a fair bit, looking and *thinking* about
the light falling on the subject and taking that into account when
looking at the reading but the numbers have successfully been translated
onto my Rolleiflex without any correction factor.

I have calibrated my meter, checking it against two others which wasn't
a particularly difficult process. Recently I've bought a Sekonic meter
as I wanted incident and spot metering functions. It's certainly better
in scenes of high contrast or where the light is below 1.6 lumen where
it was difficult to accurately read the scale on the Master II.

Just my 2p.

James

Try comparing the Weston against some other reflection meter on a gray or white card or other large, uniform, surface. Set the other meter for some convenient ISO speed value, say 100, and see what the Weston must be set at to give the same exposure reading. I've tried this with three Westons old enough to be calibrated for Weston speeds and found the above. I am curious if others can duplicate this.
The reason for using the large surface is to eliminate any differences in reading due to differences in angle of view.
A note: I've checked the meters for problems with the cell. This is easy to do for a Selenium meter which has overlaping ranges. Choose a brightness that falls into both ranges at the overlap. The meter should read exactly the same on both ranges. If the cell has gone bad it will read 1 or more stops low for the low range (that is where the meter reads high on the scale). Weston cells seem to be among the more durable.
Another note: Weston meters sometimes become erratic. I've found that this can often be corrrected by pushing in on the cell and rotating it a little. Evidently, the contact at the edge becomes intermittant with time. Excercizing it will bring it back. This will NOT fix a non-linear cell.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx